Wednesday 29 June 2011

Chesterfield College - Arts Festival.

It was interesting to see work from other courses in chesterfield college, I hadn’t actually realised the amount of different courses based around art and design. Also I noticed while walking around how much life drawing and being able to draw or portray the human body is involved in each course. Such as fashion where you have to have an anatomically correct body shape before you draw the clothing design around the figure.

Near the entrance of the dome as you enter the downstairs section of the arts festival I noticed a display by Joshua Farnon, it was mainly based around drawings and paintings of sheep skulls but one piece in particular impressed me most, it was the large image of a sheep’s skull created with paint, inks and charcoal. He had let the white paint from the skull section of his image drip down to the bottom of the canvas and he had used a section of jagged black strokes in the background to make the image look more interesting. The skull looked realistic and it was interesting to see a sheep skull painting in that size as I have drawn them before and it was time consuming just creating a small piece.

The illustration of a woman singing into a microphone by Christopher Hogan appealed to me as it was simplistic but designed very well, the lines he used were smooth and clean and the block colours of the image complimented the faded black background well. He had done multiple images in this style and looked good as a whole on the white background of the display boards, almost like a comic book. I have created similar images using Illustrator and Photoshop but never really used colour like he has on these images. It was a good source of inspiration and showed me what could be achieved by using simple block colours.

It wasn’t just the illustrations that interested me, I really enjoyed looking through the architectural work by Rebecca Wadsworth she had clearly labelled sections of development which looked very professional and were everything I expected an architectural display to look like. It was stimulating to see a different style of drawing. The muted colour scheme used on the technical drawings of the building she had created were very effective. Also the layout looked professional and organised with the final piece central of the display and the development work surrounding it.

The year 2 graphic design students section of the arts festival was the most informative and understandable to me as it related to the course I am studying. I think it is important to see the process of design through people who are studying and have studied in the area of design I am. Also it gave an insight into what I could be doing in the future.  My favourite display was the section with the designs about different evolution stages, in particular the monkeys face with part of it changed to a human face, I liked how the designer had made the area around the human face look like it had been cut out and placed on top. The sketchbooks laid out on the middle table helped me to see how other students have set out their work and how they had gone through each design process. In future I am going to experiment more and try more ideas out before I get my final outcome as experimenting allows you to explore different ideas and focus on the ones that are most successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment